List of important Veritas Cluster (VCS) Interview Questions
1.How do check the status of VERITAS Cluster Server ?
Ans: hastatus –sum
2. Which is the main config file for VCS and where it is located?
Ans: main.cf is the main configuration file for VCS and it is located in /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config.
3. Which command you will use to check the syntax of the main.cf ?
Ans: hacf -verify /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config
4. How will you check the status of individual resources of VCS cluster?
Ans: hares –state
5. What is the service group in VCS ?
Ans: Service group is made up of resources and their links which you normally requires to maintain the HA of application.
6. What is the use of halink command ?
Ans: halink is used to link the dependencies of the resources
7. What is the difference between switchover and failover ?
Ans: Switchover is an manual task where as failover is automatic. You can switchover service group from online cluster node to offline cluster node in case of power outage, hardware failure, schedule shutdown and reboot. But the failover will failover the service group to the other node when VCS heartbeat link down, damaged, broken because of some disaster or system hung.
8. What is the use of hagrp command ?
Ans: hagrp is used for doing administrative actions on service groups like online, offline, switch etc.
9. How to switchover the service group in VCS ?
Ans: hagrp -switch (service_group) -to (system_name)
10. How to online the service groups in VCS ?
Ans: hagrp -offline (service_group) -sys (system_name)
11.What is jeopardy in vcs ?
The state in which a node is missing one of the two required heartbeat connections. When a node is running with one heartbeat only (in jeopardy), VCS does not restart the applications on a new node. This action of disabling failover is a safety mechanism that prevents data corruption.
12.What is split brain in vcs ?
Ans : A split brain occurs when two independent systems configured in a cluster assume they have exclusive access to resource. this scenario can be caused when all cluster heartbeat links are simultaneously lost. Each cluster node will then mark the other cluster node as FAULTED. , usually resulting in data corruption.
13. Cluster Log File location
14 . command to Verifying that links are active for LLT
Ans: lltstat –n
15. How can I shutdown VCS without shutting down my applications?
Ans :- (1) hastop -all -force (shuts down VCS on all nodes)
(2) hastop -local -force (shuts down VCS on the local node only)
16. What's the difference between Agents and Resources?
Ans : Agents are VCS processes that control and monitor the Resources. Resources are all those objects in your Service Group, and they all require Agents
17.how to Change configuration to read/write mode
Ans :- haconf –makerw
18. what is freeze in vcs
Ans Freeze a service group to prevent it from failing over to another system.
19. Can I run different versions of VCS in the same cluster?
Ans :- No, absolutely not! Different versions of VCS, and even different patch levels of VCS, cannot run at the same time in the same cluster. Therefore, when you install VCS patches, you must install them on *all* nodes at the same time!
20. Difference in critical and non-critical resource
Ans :- 1.(NON-critical ) resource fails , service group will not fail over
2.(Critical ) resource fails , service group will fail over
21. Command to clear the faulty resource
Ans hares -clear (resource-name) -sys (faulted-system)
22. what is the command to Starting and stopping LLT
Ans lltconfig -c
23 .Starting and stopping GAB
Ans gabconfig -c -n seed_number
24. command to check vcs licence
Ans vxlicense –p
25. command to list the list the parameters of a resource
Ans hares -display <resource>
26. command to freeze the service group
Ans hagrp -freeze <service group>